Thursday, August 6, 2015

Shirley Jackson

I really enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.  So I'm reading more.  She has a memoir, Life Among the Savages, which I read at the same time as a book of short stories, The Lottery.  Her memoir centers on being a stay-at-home mother which I can relate to but what I didn't think I could relate to was writing eerie things while taking care of babies.  Reading both books at the same time felt right, although sometimes I had to check which book I was reading.  She didn't necessarily tell spooky stories, she was just able to see that perspective.  Like a comedian can take anything and find the humor in it, Shirley Jackson could take anything and show the uncanny side.  I thought both books were terrific.

I plan to read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None next while I'm out of my normal reading genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment