Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Stuff I'm Trying in April

Spring Cleaning!
 photo Spring-Cleaning-Simpsons_zps03e06f5b.jpg
The less time I spend cleaning, the more time I can spend doing cool stuff.  So I'm going to spring clean all month so I can enjoy the summer.  My goal is just to get rid of a lot of stuff.  Less stuff to pick up, less stuff to clean around.

No Buy Month
 photo To_Buy_or_Not_to_Buy_zps9d957534.jpg
It I want to get rid of stuff, I need to stop bringing it in.  When I first thought about it I came up with a couple of exceptions - I'll spend on Nels birthday, on an out-of-town shopping trip, on a couple of subscription boxes, etc.  And then it started to sound like any other month.  So, no exceptions!  I'll buy gas and groceries (goal of no more than $400 for the month for both) and I'll buy Nels a birthday present using some gift cards laying around the house.  I canceled all subscription boxes, except the ones that are prepaid (Citrus Lane, The Happy Trunk, Mother Goose Time.)  Guess it will make getting those a little more special.

Museum Membership
 photo the_discovery-atrium_zpsc6f6ce9c.jpg
We joined the children's museum last month so now I'm going to be a responsible member (and mom) and go. 

Crockpot Cooking
 photo crockpot_zps8e1715dd.jpg
I need help getting dinner on the table lately... so I'm determined to get good at this crockpot thing!  My goal is to make at least one crockpot meal a week and hopefully find a couple recipes I would like to repeat.

Justified
 photo justified_zps481e2361.jpg
My dad told me to watch this show.  I'm just aiming for Season 1.  I've not really a fan of Timothy Olyphant, but maybe he is just a really good actor and I've only seen him in roles of people I didn't like?  Deadwood comes to mind.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear how you do on all this!!! I always want to do a no buy, but i get scared that I will just go crazy when it's over!!!

    Ramblings of a Suburban Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a really yummy crock pot recipe-one of my family's favorite-even my son!

    Taco Soup

    2 lbs. ground chuck
    1 onion, chopped
    1 t. garlic salt
    2 sm. (6 oz.) cans tomato sauce
    1 lg. (14 oz.) can stewed tomatoes (do not drain) *I use petite diced instead
    2 (15 oz.) cans corn
    2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans * I use one pinto or kidney bean and one black bean instead
    1 can Ro-Tel
    1/2-1 C. water, depending on how thick or thin you want it
    1 envelope Ranch Dressing mix
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    chili powder to taste
    *opt. black olives

    Brown meat, onion, and garlic salt.  Drain.  Transfer to large pot and add rest of ingredients; heat stirring constantly.  Soup is ready when hot (it’s better when it cooks for a while).  Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and or fritos.

    Enjoy!
    Joslyn
    Nashville, TN


    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joslyn, thanks so much for the recipe! I'll add it to the menu plan for next Friday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, I agree, the less stuff~ the less to clean which gives MORE time for better things. I have been doing the same thing here. One of my favorite crockpot meals is 2.5 pounds of chicken breast in the crockpot, cup of water and a big jar of salsa...let it cook all day and serve over rice or penne pasta. top with cheese. delish and EASY!

    ReplyDelete