What You Need: * 1 cup white whole-wheat flour * 1 cup all-purpose flour * 3 teaspoons baking powder * 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup sugar * 1 egg * 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce * 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat milk * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract * 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest * 1 cup unsweetened frozen strawberries, thawed and chopped * Turbinado sugar or table sugarAdult: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-muffin pan. Do not use paper liners.
What You Do:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set the bowl aside.
2. In another large bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, milk, vanilla, zest, and strawberries.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all of the ingredients are combined. The batter should be thick and lumpy.
4. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to fill all 12 muffin cups.
5. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of sugar.
Adult: Place the muffins in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Take muffins out of the oven and let them cool for five minutes before removing them from pan.
We used all a/p flour instead of half whole-wheat. And we used whole milk instead of low-fat. We also used paper liners. The muffins are kinda sticky so I think that's why they said no paper liners. They turned out. Strawberry muffins are just kinda weird since strawberries are gooey.
Guy & his trusty muffin.