Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Deer Tallow

My husband's buddy got a deer so I begged for the deer fat to make some tallow (for soap purposes).

I had to cut lots of the fat off the deer myself. It was kind of gross but the fat actually felt like any sort of solid oil so I knew it was going to be good. In fact I bet you could have used it for lotion at that stage if you like smelling like the insides of a deer.

I diced the fat and roasted it for an hour. And it didn't really do anything.
Tallow

So I ran the fat through the meat grinder and roasted it again and it melted into this funny smelling stew in 10 minutes. Haha!
Tallow1
I did read later about people adding water to their "stew" and I also read about people adding a cut up potato. If I make this again I'll try the water in hopes in removes a lot of the brown coloring from the tallow.

Then I strained it through a sieve and got some funny smelling liquid.
Tallow3

It hardened over night with half the tallow being brown and half being white. If I had added the water I think the brown coloring would have dyed the water, not the tallow? And I would have had a brown puddle in the bottom of the bowl and white tallow floating on the top. But I do admit I have no idea what I'm doing. I could have remelted the tallow and tried again but I'm naturally lazy.

I'm impressed. It looks legit to me. Time to make soap!

No comments:

Post a Comment