Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Daring Baker: Swiss Roll Ice Cream Cake

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

Sunita has the recipe posted on her blog.

SWISS ROLLS
First time making swiss rolls! My rolls seemed too thin or just overcooked. They kind of crunched when I rolled them up.
The filing was super easy and delicious! (Lucy agrees!!)


ICE CREAM
Difficult by hand. I burnt up the hand mixer trying to churn the stuff. So I only have the stand mixer now but that's okay. I hadn't touched the hand mixer in years. I made vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Have I mentioned you can buy whipping cream by the half gallon at Costco? Because I needed it for this stuff.
CAKE
To make the cake I made a shell with swiss roll slices then added the vanilla ice cream, some homemade fudge, and then the chocolate ice cream. I tried to turn the cake out too early. That made a huge mess and lost a lot of my chocolate ice cream. What's a Daring Adventure without a screw up? Well besides destroying the hand mixer. Guy approved and that's all that matters

3 comments:

  1. I have that exact same mixer, color and all. Also, hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how did it taste. I LOVE swiss rolls and ice cream of course. But I'm not as daring as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ice cream was really good! The swiss rolls were just okay - better before they got frozen. I would have rather ate them separately!

    ReplyDelete