Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Daring Baker: Pavlovas w/ Mascarpone

The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard.

Big fat FAIL.

Here is the recipe and how they are suppose to look.

The recipe consisted of 5 different components and I messed up at least 1...maybe more.

So making the Chocolate Pavlovas was fun and easy.

And then making the Mascarpone Mousse (had to make mascarpone "cheese" before I could complete it) and the Marscarpone Cream (made with mascarpone cheese and Creme Anglaise sauce) were flops. I ran out of whip cream so I kind of watered down my whipped cream with whole milk and butter. Does not work. So to thicken up my mousse I had to add Cool Whip. If that's not a crime, it's at least a major sin. And my cream was far from the correct drizzling consistenacy. But was it good? Yes. Did I put the completed project in the fridge for safe keeping to discover a soggy mess later? Yes. I learned a lot. On things not to do.
P.S.
Chocolate flops = Happy kids

No comments:

Post a Comment